Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Writing and Music

Favorite Song
Right now, my favorite song is "I Constantly Thank God For Esteban" by Panic! at the disco. It's hard for me to pick an all time favorite song, but "Esteban" is high up there. I think I like it because of its big sound and various instruments. Panic!'s not afraid of mixing genres even within the same song, and I really like that. It's like, "Oh the music's changing. What's it gonna be? Polka? Techno? Spanish guitar??" It's like the surprise bag when you sell the most Girl Scout cookies. "Esteban" reminds me of big cathedral choirs and  intricate Roman architecture. But that's probably just me, I don't think many other people are reminded of that.

Kind of Music
I tend to like music with more bass sound than tenor. But I also like music with different layers of sound so that if I change my sound settings I can focus on different parts of the song. 

Admiration
I admire the music of Lady Gaga because she writes her lyrics in a way that aren't "flimsy." (Well, in most cases)
I admire the music of Eliza Rickman because she showcases viola. I really like that because it's what I play, and it's under-appreciated.
I admire the music of Panic! at the disco because they know how to use silence and dynamics. I find that it's something not a lot of bands/singers do.
I admire the music of Ke$ha and Katy Perry because they rhyme a lot, and I think it's fun to sing songs with lots of rhymes.

Mood
I really enjoy background music in movies. Because even if there are great actors in it. you can't always get the feel of the scene without hints from the music. And when they are able to convey suspicion and such without music, it's amazing! Sometimes it's the lack of music that puts a scene on edge.
John Williams recording Harry Potter
For Kickapoo's The Sound of Music, I played viola in the pit. Practice was grueling. It didn't matter much if we couldn't get all the notes, just as long as we got the mood right. I think, especially with theatre,  music is a big part of any production. 
My favorite film composer is Hans Zimmerman. No matter what movie he's done, you can tell he did it, and often you can guess the exact movie. He wrote the scores for Man of Steel, The Dark Knight, Inception, Pirates of the Caribbean, and my absolute favorite soundtrack; Sherlock Holmes starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. John Williams is a very close second with Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Schindler's List, Indiana Jones, and Harry Potter. And when I say close second, it's really really really close.
Hans Zimmerman Sherlock Holmes


Profession
I did use to want to be a singer. But then I tried out for middle school choir and had to sing Happy Birthday. I cannot sing that song to save my life. And compared to the other kids, I wasn't that great. In middle school, it's hard to have a developed talent or even have an idea of what you might be good at. Often enough, it was if you could sing you were going places and if you couldn't, you were untalented. Thank God that's over. Middle school is awful.
I don't think I could be a professional, but I am learning electric bass and want to try my hand at song writing, but I don't expect it to go any farther than my basement.



1 comment:

  1. I need you to come to my Film as Lit class next year and do a lesson on great movie scores--you are quite informed! I love that you conjure images of "big cathedral choirs and intricate Roman architecture" listening to your current fav song. Good luck with the bass and song writing--even if it's confined to your basement!

    ReplyDelete