Sunday, March 22, 2015

Art Walk




My favorite print was the first one I picked. When I first looked at it, it looked like silhouettes of daisies, peonies, and chrysanthemums painted with watercolors that bled in and out of each other. But when I looked at it more closely, it seemed messy and not flower-like at all. The colorful portions were separated by thick white paint that looked like an afterthought. The colors themselves felt sad, and how the paint streaked down emphasized that. And I think that all of this was intentional. Because the white was covering up the beautiful background, it reminded me of how people try to hide their personality, or 'true colors'. From far away it looks like this person (or painting) knows who they are, and they have everything together. But when you get closer to them, you can see how they are forcing themselves into some cookie-cutter, and not really fitting it. Their colors bleed through, and you realize that they're covering up the best of themselves.
Overall, I thought that the painting had a feeling of a bittersweet happiness. 

A New Earth
Pressed flowers
Sprouting in colorful shadow
Like pulled butterfly wings
Spring in negative

1 comment:

  1. Spring in negative...I love your explanation. And I really like the line: "Their colors bleed through, and you realize that they're covering up the best of themselves."

    ReplyDelete