Thursday, March 5, 2015

Movies

Tell us about your favorite movie and why you like it
I have a lot of movies that I love. But the one that I'd watch any minute of any day in any mood, would be The Iron Giant. I had it on VHS when it first came out, with the original cover art. Somehow or another, it got lost, and I mourned its death until a year ago when I found the DVD in the Walmart $5 bin.
It's about a nine-year-old boy named Hogarth Hughes who lives in 1957 Rockwell, Maine with his single mom. At her diner, he hears fishermen talking about a giant metal man they had seen, thinking it's some Russian weapon. Hogarth tries to find the Giant, and when he does, he and the artist Dean teach Giant about life and death, right and wrong. After finding out Giant was created to destroy, Giant knows that he is who he chooses to be. And he chose to be Superman.
It's such a sweet movie. The animation, and characters, dialogue, background, story, depth... This movie is so well-rounded, I've never heard a bad comment about it. (And if I did, I probably would bawl my eyes out; so much of my life philosophy came from this movie)

ah sweet little Hogarth


Tell us about the kinds of movies you don't care for usually
I don't like movies that are gore, violence, and sex for the sake of gore, violence and sex. I feel that it plays to an unengaged audience, and lacks anything tangible. I'm not saying that a movie with these things is automatically a bad movie. It would have to add to the story and be needed to progress forward. But nonsensical killing without reason or condemnation shouldn't happen.

Tell us about how often and where you usually watch movies
I like going to the movie theater to watch movies. But not so much in cold and flu season. We went to go see the last Hobbit movie, and the entire theater was coughing and hacking all the way through the movie. We went to see it again because the first time was so distracting. 
We watch movies at home, too. Our basement, I'm proud to say, is decked out with Star Trek swag. We sprawl out on the couch with our Chinese food and watch things like The Hobbit, Star Trek, The Dark Crystal, Beetlejuice, Harry Potter... We are huge nerds.

Tell us about what you need for movie viewing
Like with reading/writing, I like to be the comfiest I can be. I like getting immersed in the experience of the movie. I need a blanket nest, quiet snacks, and complete and utter silence from my family upstairs. The only time I like watching movies with other people is if I've seen it a million times with my family, or if it's a comedy. There's something off about laughing in a dark basement by yourself...I do it anyway.



such a sweetie

Tell us about what this survey says about you.
Basically what I already knew about myself. I watch movies for their artistic value and storytelling, and to relive past experiences. There's slim to none chance of watching movies with other people but I am quite warm and agreeable. But can get stubborn and competitive. I'm not big on violent or "boredom relieving" movies. Instead I like bitter-sweet movies with lots of heart and deep meanings.
I am a total hippie.

If my life story was made into a movie...
I would hope to play the role of myself, but maybe the world needs to see a ginger Jennifer Lawrence. I'm not sure yet exactly what the rise and fall of plot would be, but my friends say I've got an "anime life." Translated, that would be a slice-of-life rom-com. 


not Hogarth but also a sweetie






1 comment:

  1. You are so right--comedies are so much better in a collectively laughing audience. I love what you say about so much of your life philosophy being tied to the giant movie. It's interesting what really shapes us when we are young and impressionable and trying to figure life out.

    ReplyDelete